Monday, November 29, 2010

Most of the zombies had limbs missing...

Here’s an interesting question for you: when most is used as a pronoun (ie most of the zombies had limbs missing, or most of the town was destroyed) what approximate percentage (of zombies, or of town area) would you assign to that meaning?  This is something I’ve often pondered, because different people seem to have very different ideas on this.
All the definitions I have been able to locate while sitting here at work seem to suggest that it’s a simple majority (in my basic examples this would be anything greater than 50%).
I don’t agree. To my mind majority and most are not exact synonyms. I see most as being closer in meaning to nearly all.
I mentally assign most to a range of approximately 70 to 90%. How about you?

2 comments: